Changes to lifestyle- Phase 1 of Greening Herriard
Following our public vote, the 8 most popular challenges for Phase 1 of the Greening Campaign are:
- Turn off lights when leaving a room (non LED) saving 25kg CO2 and £14 a year
- Halve your food waste by making a meal plan and using up leftovers saving 312kg CO2 and £252 a year
- Turn the thermostat down by 1 degree C saving 325 kg CO2 and £80 a year
- Buy second hand furniture over new-1 item a year saving 50 kg CO2 and £135 a year
- Replace all bulbs with LED saving 65kg CO2 and £35 a year
- Boil only the amount of water needed saving 12kg of CO2 and £6 a year
- Wash up using a bowl rather than letting the water run saving 130 kg CO2 and £25 a year
- Line or rack dry clothes saving 65 kg CO2 and £35 a year
The Greening Herriard Challenge cards were delivered at the end of October 2020. You only needed to choose 5 of the 8 challenges. When we counted them, 40 households took part in reducing their CO2 emissions which was approx 33% of the total number of households in Herriard.
This saved 33 tonnes of CO2 and £14,500 in our Community by making these small changes and reducing waste. Once you start to make these small changes, they become a habit and you can start to introduce more energy saving measures into your lifestyle.
PLEASE GET INVOLVED IN GREENING HERRIARD! CLIMATE CHANGE IS HAPPENING.